Self-management classes help teach and reinforce important skills so individuals can properly manage a number of common chronic diseases. Some common chronic health problems include: arthritis, asthma diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, and lung disease. These programs are offered in a classroom-like setting and are led by other people who have chronic health conditions. The Missouri Arthritis and Osteoporosis Program offers four in-person self-management classes: Living a Healthy Life (Chronic Disease Self-Management Program – CDSMP), Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP), Tomando Control de su Salud (Spanish version of CDSMP), and Chronic Pain Self-Management Program (CPSMP). The Living a Healthy Life and Tomando Control de su Salud classes are available to any person with a chronic disease and/or their caregivers.
Why should you take this class?
If you are struggling with any chronic diseases, or are at risk, self-management classes are for you. Many people feel these classes are only for those in very poor health; people who have one or more chronic disease, but are feeling well, are also encouraged to take Living a Healthy Life or Tomando Control de su Salud classes. These classes are designed to help manage symptoms and side-effects. Properly managing your health can result in living a better life as well as saving money and time on healthcare visits.
Diabetes is tough to manage sometimes. The Diabetes Self-Management Program will help you with understanding the symptoms and side-effects of diabetes; appropriate uses of medication, like insulin; and how to eat healthy and exercise for the best outcome. Other chronic diseases are managed much easier through the practice of the methods taught in the DSMP.
How do you participate in Self-Management Programs?
You can contact your Regional Arthritis Center (RAC) to find out when the next in-person, group Living a Healthy Life, Tomando Control de su Salud, Diabetes Self-Management Program, or Chronic Pain Self-Management Program class will be held near you. Scheduled self-management education classes coming soon include:
- 10/27-12/1 (M), 5:30-7:30 pm. Living a Healthy Life (CDSMP) at Missouri Delta Medical Center – Basement Classroom (Sikeston). Call Sharon at 573-472-7329 to register.
- 11/3-12/8 (M), 9:00-11:30 am. Feel Better Now (CDSMP) at University of Missouri Extension – Conference Room (Boonville). Call 660-882-5661 to register.
- 11/4-12/9 (Tu), 9:00-11:00 am. Living a Healthy Life (CDSMP) at Mississippi County Health Department (Charleston). Call 573-683-2191 or click here to register.
- 11/4-12/9 (Tu), 12:30-3:00 pm. Living a Healthy Life (CDSMP) at Ivanhoe Community Center (Kansas City). Call Queen at 816-404-9684 or Raquel at 816-404-3560 to register.
- 11/5-12/17 (W), 1:00-3:30 pm. Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP) at Ellett Memorial Hospital – Conference Room (Appleton City). Call the Southwest RAC for more information and to register at 417-888-6787. NOTE: No class Wed. 11/26.
- 11/10-12/15 (M), 1:00-3:30 pm. Feel Better Now (CDSMP) at MU Extension Office (Hermitage). Call 417-646-2419 to register.
- 11/24-12/29 (M), 9:30-11:30 am. Living a Healthy Life (CDSMP) at Saint Francis Medical Center – Wellness Conference Room 2 (Cape Girardeau). Call Heidi at 573-331-5880 or click here to register online.
- Llame a Elizabeth Hoyos (573-356-7373) acerca de la próxima clase de Tomando Control de su Salud en el centro de Missouri.
If you are interested in becoming a group leader for one of our self-management education programs, contact your RAC to find out more information.
You can always call our state toll-free line at 1-888-702-8818 for more information about self-management education programs.